Understanding a few simple basics about carpet can help you make the right choice for your lifestyle and budget. There are several factors that make up your perfect carpet. These include the construction, fiber choice, and of course, color, style and texture. We carry the top three synthetic fibers- nylon, olefin, and polyester, as well as the natural fiber wool, and the newest fiber Triexta.
Our newest fiber, Mohawk's Triexta ® or Sorona ®, might not be a household name yet- but the industry is singing its praises! In 2009 the Federal Trade Commission approved Triexta as the newest fiber, recognizing its distinctive characteristics from any other fiber. The difference is only one molecule, but that molecule brings some amazing advantages to this fiber. It has a permanent stain resistance built into the fiber, not a topical treatment, also making it non absorbent and resistant to UV and sunlight damage. It creates an easy to maintain carpet, and the fiber dries quickly for efficient cleaning. The durability and softness makes this ideal for the whole house.
Nylon has generally been the most popular carpet type, as it is the strongest fiber making it highly crush resistant and allowing it to keep its brilliant color. It is perfect for the whole house since it is very durable in high traffic areas, and is resistant to chemicals, molding, and soiling.
If you are looking for a natural fiber, we have a large selection of wool as well. Wool is the most durable and easiest to clean natural fiber there is. Since wool is a solid fiber, it hides soil much better than other fibers and will not melt or catch on fire, so things like cigarette or cigar burns are not an issue. It is much softer and more comfortable than other synthetic fibers, however it does require more maintenance and must be treated as there is no natural stain resistance to it.
So whether you are looking for a pattern or a berber, something traditional or contemporary, or even an area rug- we have a wide array of options for you. With brands such as Mohawk ®, Shaw ®, Couristan ®, Tuftex ® and Fabrica ®- you're sure to find exactly what you're looking for!
Carpet Types- 101
Below are the main types of carpet profiles and how they are made and their uses.
Most decoratively versatile cut-pile carpet
* Textured surface helps hide footprints and vacuum marks
* Adds casual beauty to any room
* Preferred style for busy households
* A great "whole-house" carpet
* Refined cut-pile surface
* Luxuriously smooth, soft finish ideal for living and dining rooms
* Beautiful with traditional interiors and adds distinctive elegance
* Shows subtle highlights and accents
* An exciting new berber look with all the color and interest of traditional loop berbers
* The great plush "feel" of thick, cut pile carpet
* Very versatile decoratively, ideal for casual rooms, kids' rooms, etc.
* Subtle color flecks help hide soil that might appear between cleanings
* A wool-like look and rugged loop surface
* Natural, hand-crafted appearance creates a warm, personal atmosphere
* Tight loop texture helps hide footprints and vacuum marks
* Subtle patterns fit a variety of room styles from country to contemporary to cottage
* Carved definition with cut-and-loop pile
* Accent colors spice up floor surfaces from soft tones to bold combinations
* Multicolor effects hide soil and stains
* Looks great between vacuuming
* Versatile styles blend comfortably with any decor
* Durable long-wearing surface pile engineered for high traffic areas
* Intriguing color choices suitable for professional and practical installations
* Textured surfaces provide subtle highlights